Tuesday 31 May 2016

Update Warlord Titan No58 - Bone Garland

Drake Seta has been working hard on Bone Garland and was brave enough to start the oil and buff off stage.

He assembled the Mars Beta Head unit (glued the lid down as he does not feel like doing internal detail at this stage).

Drake sprayed the piece with Klear polish (shown wet above) and left to dry. He did two cloats of this.

 He then created this muddy oil mix with Indigo, Burnt umber and Raw seinna, as well as a nice dose of white spirits (ends up like thick gravy). Nice and easy to mix together, and you should know when you are happy with it.

 Cover the piece (note this is my first ever attempt at this). Dry with a hair drier until the piece is semi dry (waxy).

 Dry

Then using a flat piece of cotton (old bed linen etc) carefully rub and buff off the the oil to leave a grime and dirt effect just around the rivets (note the Klear protects the paint and transfers).

 leaves dirt and grime in the recesses.

 Drake sprayed the piece with Klear polish and left to dry. He did two cloats of this.

 Covered in oil paint,

Drake sprayed the piece with Klear polish (shown dry above) and left to dry. He did two cloats of this.

 Scary over white!!!

 Here is how the majestic Bone garland look as of now.

Such an effective way of creating detail and definition. It also gives the impression of a War Machine which has walked for decades,




 The white buffed up nicely.



Bone Garland is well on his way to being complete now.

TOC.

11 comments:

  1. Man, Bone Garland looks so good. I'm at the stage where I have to decide if I am going to try weathering my engine, and I'm honestly scared as heck to try. Hats off to you sir, and thanks for telling us about the technique as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate. Proper easy. I will be doing all my Knight's armour panels like this too. Was sooooo easy and efficient. Klear is Pledge now (look for the bottle which says formerly called Klear).

      Delete
  2. Amazing. Just, flat out, uncomprehendingly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking awesome Drake, love the oil pin wash thing, was unsure of the process, so thanks for a clear explaination. Rgr, two coats of pledge... I think I'll test on a IK before painting the armour of Dominus Victoria... Which I really should start! Too many projects...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've given me the idea to do that as well on an upcoming Knight project of my own. You're infectious because Drake is infectious. :)

      Delete
    2. I am a Death Guard gamer after all. . . You'll catch the Progress-pox!!

      Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. That's looks simply wonderful and simple to do too!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bone Garland must be getting close to that first walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done Drake. Brother Shadow has told me much of your work. And I have to say absolutely beautiful work. My hat goes off to you good sir. I may well have to use that technique when I rehab my old titans and work on my IKs of house Hyperion.

    Sincerely,
    War

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks War. I think using it as a rehab style tweak might work well for older painted engines too. I can imagine tweaking mine for years.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely stunning! A grand application of oil techniques!

    ReplyDelete