Tuesday 10 April 2018

Titan Owner Interview- Joseph L., Oculus Imperatoris

A Legio Vindictus engine that gets a battle picture shot, and a lot of passion and fun put into it.  We put Joseph in the hotseat about Oculus Imperatoris.

TOC: A new Titan, a rarely heard of Legio, and a Warhound soon to blaze its own path. What got you into Titan ownership to begin with?


Joseph: The Nova Open.  I was at the NOVA Open this year and I also attended the Las Vegas Open (LVO) last year.  While in the Apocalypse-type games the Titans were just smoking stuff off of the board.


I had to join the fray and being a Raven Guard fella I was naturally drawn to Vindictus, being that it is on their home world and all!


 TOC: Already I can tell fluff has a hand in your decisions. Does this mean we'll see tie-ins to existing lore, or will you add to what is there?

Joseph: Well I'd like to tie in to the existing story line, then deviate into my own stories.

TOC: You mentioned the Raven Guard. Is it safe to assume they'll run around your Titan often?

Joseph: Yes indeed, the reason for House Cadmus (in reference to his Knight Banner – TOC) and Vindictus is based on the planet locations to Deliverance.  It's safe to assume they would most certainly work together.  Raisa, House Cadmus’ home planet, is very close to Deliverance, and Kiavahr is the planet circling Deliverance.

TOC: Not much is known about Vindictus and its scheme. How did you decide to approach painting the Legio?

Joseph: Great question.  So in collaboration with Dee Power we came up with a Banner.  The shin guard has nine white stripes to represent the nine loyal legions.  I'll do the back shoulder of the Titan in red and gold to honor the sacrifice of the Emperor and his ever-present gaze in the warp.  The black is a tip of the cap to Corax.  The Banner will have a Raven with nine feathers, again to represent the loyal Astartes, with the red and gold also.

TOC: Very thought out.  Are other Titans or support elements beyond the Astartes or Knights in the cards?

Joseph: Certainly. I'd like a second Warhound and eventually a Reaver.

TOC: A Venatarii maniple.  A Warlord also a possibility?

Joseph: Yes, but that's a ways off.




TOC: You've put a lot of thought into this. What do you ultimately hope to get out of Titan ownership?


Joseph: Destruction of as many models as I can, but ultimately I'd love to get to Forge World with it all and share!  This is a long shot but I'd love to add to the actual story of some of the Raven Guard's stories when Black Library has open stories.

TOC: It sounds like you also know what you want to contribute to ownership as well. What has it been like so far?


Joseph: The first step in purchasing the Titan was nerve-wracking but a joy. You truly do get feeling of joining a type of special group of guys and I love that. I bought the Titan at the Nova Open, which was a super cool experience.  I feel very fortunate to have the ability to be in such company!  The TOC was a goal of mine after the purchase once I realized how amazing the whole experience was.  It was just a real treat.


TOC: The sticker shock of the price is like ripping a Bandaid off. It's good to hear that you are enjoying the journey. What made TOC a big decision for you?

Joseph: It's like the big leagues of the hobby and the quality of all the models is the highest level I've seen.  I'm honored to be a part of that. It also raises the bar, too. I feel compelled to do the best I can

TOC: What are you looking forward to most with your Titan and/or TOC?

Joseph: To get my work out there! Maybe some commission work.  Bring some light to Legio Vindictus and give some others guidance with painting schemes or ideas on how to bring them to life.


TOC: You have the first registered Vindictus engine on TOC. And you have mention of The Rose Clan. Care to tell us more about that?


Joseph: By all means, yes.  So the Rose Clan is a bit of an homage to my Grandmother, Rose.


I turned it into a surname for all of my fantasy-type characters.  They are an honored name in the Imperium; a House of folks loyal to the Imperial Truth and the Emperor.  They span the breadth of the universe, focused mostly around where Kiavahr is located in the Segmentum Tempestus.  I have a multitude of names, including: Josif, Horace, Gearish, Hiermus, Lady Luci Ann, and the Father Rose at the head of them all.

TOC: It's definitely got depth to it.

Joseph: It's close to my heart for sure.  My Favorite is Josif Rose.  His current assignment is to the Raven Guard as a Preator in 30k and as a Captain of the 3rd Company in 40k to fill the void left by Shrike’s promotion.

TOC: You mentioned NOVA as being your start with Titans. Have you gotten to field one yet, or is this the very start of your journey?

Joseph: No, not yet.  I cannot wait for the LVO, as I will have the Titan ready for my Apocalypse game there. I can't wait; first experience, and I’m so jazzed about that!

TOC: A few TOC members attend the LVO. Hopefully you get to meet them. Any advice on getting, building, and painting a Titan?


Joseph: My advice thus far is to do research on how you want it built and painted. Also, take your time and enjoy it because it's the pinnacle of model building in the 40k universe.  In terms of getting one, overtime, lots of overtime.

TOC: They are an iconic part of the hobby. And you mentioned overtime, how long did you save up to get your Warhound?

Joseph: Well it was a spur of the moment purchase, but it was a good three months of hustling to have a good reserve in order to feel comfortable to buy it.  The NOVA Open was a big factor, since there were six or seven Warlords, four or five Reavers, and six to eight Warhounds.

TOC: What has been your favorite part so far?

Joseph:  The assembly.  It's so detailed; all of the parts, the area with computer screen, and the elevators. The cockpit, all of it.

TOC: You certainly get what you pay for with the detail.

Joseph: Indeed

TOC: You sound like you're on a good path, and hopefully you have a good local gaming or super-heavy community for your Titan to face.

Joseph: Funny you should say that.  I have a great community, but it lacks super-heavies so I’ve got a plan.  So with the Titan I would like to have “Kill the Titan” weekends to inspire the fellas to greater heights and have something for everyone to aspire to.  I can't wait to see everyone’s reaction to it.

TOC: How do you feel Titans fit within the current system?

Joseph: Titans don't fit much unless it is a huge points game and the group is aware of its powers. I would inform the group of its capabilities so that they know how to go at it. But I think with the right planning it could be an amazing event and some fellas might even get a God-Machine kill.

TOC: What do you think we'll see change about Titans as we go through 8th Edition's evolution and Forge World's Age of Darkness expansion for Horus Heresy?

Joseph: I’m not sure; maybe making them more viable in games other than HUGE Apoc games. Finding a way to introduce them to smaller scenarios, or they keep them exclusively for big game types.

TOC: And one last, but always fun question. Any shotouts, bellowing challenges, or words of wisdom to pass on?

Joseph: A big shout out to our gaming group Friday Night Wargaming!! And always enjoy the time you take for your hobby.  A challenge to my Cousin Ronald Ciarleglio: the Iron Warriors will fall to the Might of the Titans!

TOC: Thank you for your time. It's been a pleasure.

Joseph:  It was awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for nod ! Looks awesome and keep an eye out for the knights banner it's been sent in !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I know that titan... Great article! I love interviews :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few more interviews coming up soon. And I'm working with Drake to get more from the UK side as well. I'm glad to hear that someone enjoys this article feature. I'll be sure to keep them up.

      Delete
  3. The build really is fun, isn’t it? Beautiful Titan and I love hearing the thought behind the color scheme and design.

    ReplyDelete