Tuesday 16 April 2019

Titan Owner Interview- Lyden P., Nine Fureans Engines


Today we get the chance to interview one of the most famous Fureans painters and owners out there. He has his own painting studio, immortalized body art of his beloved Legio, and probably the greatest story of the Walk 2018- UK. We have Lyden P. in the hotseat and it's sure to be a treat.

TOC: A pleasure to have you for an interview, Lyden. You are known for your beautiful Fureans engines and your work is even featured on the Forge World site for #PaintingForgeWorld. What lead you to choose the Tiger Eyes?

Lyden: It’s a pleasure to be here.  Thank you for the opportunity to be interviewed and I hope it gives a bit of insight into my Titan world.

Yes I have what I call my painting studio.  It’s just myself painting mainly for myself but I have and do occasionally take on private commission work.  What made me choose the Tiger Eyes...well that is an interesting one to be totally honest, originally I wasn’t going to.  Crazy to think now!

First a bit of context, I never started this journey thinking at the end of this I’ll have a maniple of ten (10) Titans (ten being the number I will close the Fureans at and I am currently at nine). As with I’m sure a lot of owners it was that first Titan syndrome, all manner of things were going through my mind: "I want it to be instantly recognizable," what Legios and colours I enjoy visually, and colours I enjoy painting with. That’s my biggest creative outlet; I love to come home from a hard day’s work and relax with music or audio books and paint the way my mind’s eye sees things. I’d already worked and saved and I knew I was going to buy a Reaver class Titan, at Warhammer Fest 2016 UK, I believe. So it was going to be a Reaver and at the time it was the biggest thing I’d purchased and would have to build and paint. 


Right, now to try to answer your question, “Why the Tiger Eyes?” As I said, originally I wasn’t going to. Originally my idea was to go with Legio Ignatum (Fire Wasps) as I always liked the Forge World (FW) Mars Warhound with the chevrons on the main carapace and the red armour.  I like the colours and the chevrons always look cool to me so I thought I could make a Reaver look good in the scheme.  The idea never settled or felt right in my head the longer I thought about it, so I knew I wasn’t a Fire Wasps Princeps.  And I’d always been drawn to the Legio Fureans because of their lore.  Their colours are also very much to my liking.  I started to do my research into other Titans painted in the Legio’s colours (not including the FW ones painted for HH books) and, to my surprise, I found very little on the web. This made it all the more enticing.

I see it as a bit of a challenge to myself, I think. I wanted to do a Legio that, at the time, was not a popular choice. It’s nice to be different and let’s face it, dirty yellow engines with black hotrod flames are just straight bad ass! (No argument here- TOC) Luckily for me FW produced a decal sheet (currently out of production) so it was settled from that moment I was a Legio Fureans Titan Princeps and I have never looked back.


TOC: Word is you're so dedicated to them that you even have a tattoo.

Lyden:  This is true indeed. I got my tattoo artist to draw his own interpretation of the Legio symbolic tiger skull from the decal sheet, along with one of the Tiger Eyes, and that is now on my shin.


TOC: You're very dedicated to the Fureans. What about them makes you love them so? And is it safe to imagine you play them for Adeptus Titanicus?

Lyden:  I think it’s basically everything about them I love and it appeals to me on many levels. I love how even before the Heresy the Legio’s actions were put to one side in favour of the success record second only to Mortis at the time; they broke the mould in respect to Titan doctrine. The Legio’s Forge World, Incaladion, was so far from other worlds they had a Mad Max type ethos.  Their battle tactics and rules of engagement are not like the other Legios. The colour scheme and iconography are so visually appealing to me that I get the fizz looking at my own when deployed, and other Titans painted by fellow owners. And it’s very safe to say I will be doing the Legio proud in AT scale also, but I will be taking steps into other Legios.  I would also like to model and paint as close as I can to match my 28mm scale to AT scale.

TOC: And what got you into owning Titans?

Lyden:  So I first rolled dice, built models, and painted at the age of eight years old. Way back then the Warhound was the only Titan FW produced and I remember going to my local GW at the time.  They held a big game and in the centre was a Titan.  I genuinely stood for what felt like hours watching in awe. I think as a young lad that first time seeing one and being totally blown away by its size and its rarity has always stuck with me.  In our hobby, be it 40k or 30k, the Titans have always been that ‘WOW’ model, something to aspire towards and always want to own. As I’ve said previously I got my first Titan in 2016 so I have waited just a little under 18 years to gain the experience of modeling and to make sure I can appreciate owning them. Coupled with a financially stable job it’s made owning and collecting my Titans a realistic dream come true.

TOC: And now you own nine after just three years. What has Titan ownership meant to you?

Lyden:  Yep, the maniple stands at nine currently.  I’m hoping to get number 10 (a second Warlord) for my 30th birthday if all goes to plan.

Owning Titans has had its good and bad bits. First the bad:  owning Titans can come with a certain stigma. And it almost always boils down to the monetary value of Titans and FW in general.  A lot of people can be, and have been, sour toward me at times. And that’s totally fine.  This is a luxury hobby and as I have said I work and save, which justifies buying them. I personally see my spending no different to someone buying a fancy car, or jewelry, etc.  These happen to be my fix.

Above all the sporadic negativity, however, there’s always an overwhelming sense of pride and joy to be had by owning Titans. I like to think I’m humble when it comes to owning them. I barely talk about them if I am totally honest.  I try to avoid seeming cocky or having an "I’m better than you" vibe like what is normally attached with the stigma of owning rather large, expensive FW models.

There have been a few instances I’ve taken some of the engines to Warhammer World for games and the amount of people who say nice things about them or stop and take pictures of them is incredible and kinda awesome! But I think the best is watching the younger generation seeing Titans, not just mine but any Princeps’ Titans! Just taking a few minutes mid-game to talk to them can spark that interest in them and it does the hobby a world of good.

So yeah owning Titans means a lot to me.  I have met so many now close friends through owning Titans and being part of the Titan Owners Club.

It doesn’t matter if you own one Titan or nine like myself, everyone is equal.  We share knowledge, lore, paint-- you name it. You won’t find many groups like the Titan Owners Club.


TOC: And what is your greatest wish as a Titan owner? What do you hope to add to it?

Lyden:  My greatest wish as a Titan owner is to inspire.  I can’t think of a better way to use my engines than hoping they can inspire current and future owners.

TOC: Some would say you already do that with your very impressive paint jobs. Your Fureans engines are gritty in a very pleasant way. What inspired this unique take?

Lyden: Well, thank you kindly for saying that.  It means alot to me.

I love grim-dark, gritty feeling things. It’s a style I’ve developed myself over the years. After seeing the FW Warhound and Reaver painted in Fureans colours I knew when I came to do my own I wanted them to be darker and dirtier. My paint methods are also incredibly basic but they look good at distance, so the overall effect works.  Up close they are no masterpiece but I am happy with them and if I need to fix paint jobs due to wear I can fix it and blend it in seamlessly. Plus it’s now a very recognizable scheme; everyone knows whose they are, which is kinda cool to hear.

TOC: You've already mentioned "Titan 10" on your list for Fureans and hinted that there is more to come. What does the future of Titans hold for you? Such as a new Legio, Titan Guard, or Adeptus Titanicus?

Lyden: Titan number 10 will be the end of the Legio Fureans Titan maniple in 28mm for me. I don’t believe I will be getting any more 28mm Titans to create another Legio, but never say never I guess! I do occasionally take on some private commission work so I very well may paint more Titans.

For my 28mm Legio next will be expanding to Knight House Rahja, allied to the Legio Fureans.  I can see a few Knight Banners in the future, which will be good for future Walks as I currently own no Knights to send in front of hounds.

Adeptus Titanicus is going to be an exciting endeavour for me. I can’t wait to stretch my wings and try to paint schemes for other Legios, which I have already started to do. I have painted a Warlord Titan in the colours of Legio Defensor (Nova Guard), so I’m going loyal to begin with.  After seeing the profile picture that Warhammer Community released I painted my version up and completed it just the day after.  I fell in love with the simplicity of it and the colour pallette appealed to me.

I will, of course, be representing my Legio Fureans in AT scale, though I feel I may have to change up my recipe ever so slightly due to the scale.  I hope to try a few other Legios or at least try to represent them in one or two models.

I would like to do a showcase of Legios in the same way that some people paint one Space Marine in every chapter or Legion.  I’d like to attempt that in the future with God-Engines and Titan Legios.


TOC: It's good to hear that your passion extends to a smaller scale and that you're ready to dive into Adeptus Titanicus.  You mentioned the Walk events and having Knights of your own. There's a legend about the Walk 2018- UK where you apparently were on the receiving end of a hash tag that was born that day. #fearthearmiger. What is it like to be part of something like that?

Lyden: The dreaded armiger hashtag and meme I have been immortalized in and comes up so often I can't escape it.

Right, so I have to say it’s just damn cool and funny to be a part of a story from the Walk 2018- UK, which to be honest was such a huge scale event the fact the instance is remembered so vividly is amazing!

Honoured Reaver Titan Cavalcante and Warhound Titan Epicursus, coupled with the rest of the Fureans strength, almost single-handedly held the left flank for two turns.  The first turn they took zero damage and dealt death to the Loyalists with every shot. At the start of turn three, the Loyalists reinforced the flank with Titans from the Legio Tempestus and opened up, dealing some devastating shots to said Reaver and Warhound.  This left them very low on hull points and two Knight Banners of Armigers where able to use their melta weapons on the Reaver and kill her.  Then the second Banner took a bit more damage from the ‘hound and finished her off in combat with chain blades.

To this day it’s safe to say you should never underestimate an armiger! #FEARTHEARMIGER

TOC: And yet for being tied to a meme you relish it. The sense of camaraderie you are finding in Titan ownership is definitely evident. What advice do you have for someone who is looking to take their first steps into joining this brotherhood?

Lyden: The friends I’ve made in this community make all the banter and jokes all the more enjoyable! It’s fueled Legio feuds and Princeps challenging each other, so it makes me even more excited for the next Walk and what it holds.

I’d say if you’re thinking of getting an engine ask whatever questions you want answers for, both easy and hard questions.  You’ll get so much help and then if you take the steps try to get to one of the Walks because it brings a whole new level to playing with Titans and you’ll meet some incredible people.

TOC: What do you think will come next for the future of Titans? We already have quite a lot going for us, especially with Adeptus Titanicus.

Lyden: We already have quite a lot going for us; you are right.  I’d like to see more variety of weapons for the Warlord Titan in 28mm and I hope we get some arm and carapace weapons.  I’d really like to see an official carapace option turret for the Reaver Titan, along with a new chain fist option as the old one is now out of print.

AT has already given, or will give, us what I asked for above. I guess I just hope FW decides to bring some of those items into 28mm.  Also, more alternate heads, armour, and weapons so you can personalize your Titans a little bit more.

TOC: Which weapon do you hope they'll release first?

Lyden: For the Reaver Titan I’d like to see a dedicated turret cradle for top weapon options as seen in the new AT Reaver, and for the Warlord I really want the macro gatling blaster.

TOC: And as we draw to a close, our last and always most fun question. Any advice, shoutouts, or bellowing threats?

Lyden: It’s been an honour and a pleasure to take part in this interview.  Thank you so much for taking your time too!

I have to shout out my brother Princeps: Matt W., Martin S., and Gary C. Together we shall break the Loyalists’ backs at the Walk 2019- UK.

I not only wish to challenge, but to destroy, the glorious engines of Siph, Lord Halfpenny, and my Ignatum brothers Lee M. and Ryan P. And as much as it pains me, I think going against the mean green giants of King Fluff’s Astraman Legio will hurt, but it’s a necessary killing.  The Walk 2019- UK will bring many honour banners to the forces of the Warmaster and to the Legio Fureans!

As for advice, I would just say: be it building, painting, storage, transportation, or magnetization, the whole blog is full of members with vast knowledge they are happily willing to share.

TOC: Thank you for your time. It has been a pleasure.

Lyden: Thank you Shadow; the pleasure’s been all mine.

3 comments:

  1. And a top meme for a top fella, even if he is a turncoat Traitor scum... Challenge Accepted Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the inside of Lyden's brain - now we just need that 9 titan group shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I want to see the inside of a Traitor's brain.

      Delete